,

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Counting On in First Grade

I love 3 day weekends!! I have been looking forward to this all week but now I'm fighting a cold and trying to be thankful for the fact at least I'm at home and can rest.  It has been a fairly productive weekend though, as I have been working on my latest product for my teacherspayteachers store.  I don't know about you, but every year I struggle with teaching my little firsties how to count on in addition.  It seems to be such a hard concept for some of them to get.  This week, however, we seemed to really get it with my new Counting On cards.  I printed, cut, and laminated,  my turkey cards. We broke up into pairs and I passed them out.














 You can get the turkey cards from TPT Store by clicking here



They turned the cards upside down and put them into a pile between them.  They took turns picking a card. Using the response sheet, they wrote the number on the card on the first blank and then counted the turkeys and wrote that number on the second blank. Then I had them flip the card upside down again so they could look at the math problem and put the biggest number in their head and the smaller number on their fingers to count on.  Once they have written the answer, they can turn the card back over and check their answer by putting the number in their head and counting on with the turkeys. 

This is what the response sheet looks like:






We will be using these cards again, all next week and then reviewing with them the rest of the year.  Here's a peek of what the rest of my cards look like.






 You can get this whole pack at my TPT Store.  Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment